I am making progress, finally, and it is true harmony!

For three months the mast was down and the boat was a work in frustration, sweat and expletives. And bloIMG_3013od. Lot’s of blood. My blood. From where I smashed my thumb with a hammer, to when I almost drove the Dremel blade through my hand, to the too many to count cuts, scraps and no-clue how or why I started bleeding from a random extremity… I have literally shed enough blood to make Sine Metu a relative!

From the new teak and the refurbished bronze stemhead to new 316 stainless steel chainplates anIMG_3018d duel lowers, to massively overbuilt backing plates made from 3/8″ thick G10 plates, epoxied into place, the new standing rigging is solid.

The electric drive system is fully installed and, so far, I have about eight hours of time running it in the slip and all around Shelter Island here in San Diego Bay. The wiring needs to be cleaned up a bit, but that’s for my esthetics and n13226739_10208849806670101_2697186912614952103_not for the Coast Guard. It’s a solid install, but not pretty enough to show off. As a DIYer, I’m more function than fashion.

But the main thing is this — the mast is up, the new boom is installed and the Lazy Jacks have been fitted! 13164331_10208849806510097_6040354419836362231_nNext week the new mainsail from Ullman Sails will be raised for the first time with someone from the local loft being present to make sure everything is good to go.

I’ve found that I enjoy rope work like splicing and rigging control lines. There’s harmony in bringing order to the tangles.

I would like to thank all of the vendors that helped me make this possible:

Advertisements